6.23.2011

Be Still

Something I find myself saying quite frequently these days is "Caprina, be still!". It is impossible to change her diaper without saying those words many times over as she tries to squirm/roll/crawl away. A couple days ago I said it and the Lord revealed something new to me about my relationship with Him. One of my favorite scripture passages is Psalm 46:10-11. It says:

10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; 
   I will be exalted among the nations, 
   I will be exalted in the earth.”

 11 The LORD Almighty is with us; 
   the God of Jacob is our fortress.

I often turn to this passage when I am anxious and need the reminder that God (the same Almighty God that created us) is in control and it is foolish of me to try taking things into my own hands. Now, when I tell Capri to "be still" it is for her own good. I need her to be still so I can get the diaper on snug. I so often need to learn to "be still" before the Lord so that He can work in/through me for my good. It is so much more then just realizing He is in control. It is allowing Him to do what He desires in me even though it may be downright uncomfortable at times or I may prefer to be doing something entirely different. He has an eternal perspective while I have such a limited (and often quite selfish) perspective. Capri would much rather be be playing with the toy across the room but if I gave in to her every time she didn't want a diaper change it would ultimately hurt her. I'm so thankful the Lord doesn't give in to all my desires because He truly does know what I need more then I do. I love the many lessons I learn as a parent. It is constantly giving me a new understanding of my relationship with the Lord. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi friend! I love this post. It's such a great truth and reminder. I read it a while back and just read it again. Decided to post and let you know this time how much I like it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete